Archive - 2014
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) â€” Nebraska Secretary of State John Gale says his office is reviewing whether Republican gubernatorial candidate Pete Ricketts can switch his running mate on the November ballot.
Gale will issue a decision Wednesday on whether to allow State Auditor Mike Foley onto the ballot instead of Lt. Gov. Lavon Heidemann. Heidemann resigned Tuesday and said he is withdrawing from the GOP ticket.
Attorneys for the Ricketts campaign say Nebraska's constitution trumps a state law which imposes a Sept. 1 deadline for him to name a running mate.
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) â€” Nebraska Lt. Gov. Lavon Heidemann resigned from office and ended his candidacy Tuesday, one day after a judge granted a protection order to keep him away from his sister, who accused him of assault.
Heidemann announced his resignation at the Capitol alongside Gov. Dave Heineman. The Elk Creek farmer also stepped down as the running mate of Republican gubernatorial candidate Pete Ricketts.
Heidemann said he disagrees with the statements made about him, but decided not to fight to remain in office.
BROKEN BOW CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
TUESDAY - SEPTEMBER 9, 2014 - NOON
Announcement of Posting of the Open Meeting Laws Act
Approval of Consent Agenda
â€˘ Minutes â€“ August 26, 2014 Council Meeting
â€˘ Claims â€“ September 9, 2014 Regular Council Meeting
Public Hearing on 2014-2015 Annual Appropriation Bill
âť– Hearing on 2014-2015 Annual Appropriation Bill
âť– Hearing to set Final Tax Request for 2014-2015 for City of Broken Bow
âť– Approve 2.5% + 1% for a total of 3.5% increase in restricted funds/unused budget authority
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) â€” The Nebraska doctors treating the man who became infected with Ebola while working in Liberia said Sunday that he is making progress, but it's not yet clear if he will recover.
Dr. Rick Sacra, 51, arrived at the Nebraska Medical Center on Friday for treatment in the hospital's specialized isolation unit. Sacra remains very tired and stable, but was more alert Sunday, said Dr. Phil Smith, one of the doctors treating him who gave an update Sunday.
"We are encouraged by what we see, but it's too early to say he has turned a corner," Smith said.
Smith Announces Youth Advisory Council Members
Washington, D.C.â€“ Congressman Adrian Smith (R-NE) today announced the names of Third District high school students who will serve on his Youth Advisory Council for the 2014-2015 academic school year.
Youth Advisory Council members include:
Justine Bauer of Elm Creek High School;
Tristan Bruce of Franklin Public School;
Trenton Buhr of Norris High School in Firth;
Megan Canfield of Grand Island Northwest High School;
Tianna Engen of Kearney High School;
Emma Franklin of Wallace Public Schools;
McNeese State (at No. 19 Nebraska (1-0), noon (ESPNU)
WHAT'S AT STAKE
Nebraska hopes to avoid taking even the slightest step back after a turnover-free, 55-7 win over Florida Atlantic in which the Cornhuskers rolled up 784 yards. McNeese State is using its opener in Lincoln to pay some bills â€” the Cowboys will earn $415,000 â€” and maybe settle on a quarterback.
LOS ANGELES (AP) â€” The founder of a Los Angeles-based nonprofit that provides free music lessons to low-income students from gang-ridden neighborhoods began to notice several years ago a hopeful sign: Kids were graduating high school and heading off to UCLA, Tulane and other big universities.
That's when Margaret Martin asked how the children in the Harmony Project were beating the odds.
AP Nebraska high school football rankings
Here are the Associated Press Nebraska high school football rankings in Classes A through D-2. Listings include name of school, season record, previous week's result and this week's opponent.
The rankings are based on a formula that includes ratings from the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star plus experts for each class.
Agnes E. Hagood, 96, was born March 16, 1918, and passed away Aug. 31, 2014.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Lt. Col. John E. Hagood; son, John R. Hagood; parents, Ray and Laura Casteel; and brother, Evert Casteel.
She is survived by her daughter, Joyce Sallach; granddaughters, Monica (Chad), Michele, Megan, Amantha (John); greatgrandchildren, Riley, Alyssa, Zoe, Dylan and Joslyn; daughter-in-law, Susan Tanfield
The family will receive friends Thursday, 6-8 p.m. at West Center Chapel in Omaha.
Her funeral will be Friday at 10 a.m. at West Center Chapel in Omaha.
Betty Jean (Ritz) Wagner, 80 years, of Tekamah, passed away Monday, Aug. 25, 2014, at Memorial Community Hospital in Blair.
Betty was born Dec.18, 1933, in Comstock,, to Christian G. A. Ritz and
Vella M. (Grim) Ritz Oxford. She graduated from Broken Bow High School.
June 14, 1953, Betty married Kenneth L. Wagner of Merna. After living a few years in Broken Bow and one year in Grand Island, the couple moved to Omaha