Archive - 2014 - News Article
BROKEN BOW CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
TUESDAY - SEPTEMBER 9, 2014 - NOON
Announcement of Posting of the Open Meeting Laws Act
Approval of Consent Agenda
âą Minutes â August 26, 2014 Council Meeting
âą Claims â September 9, 2014 Regular Council Meeting
Public Hearing on 2014-2015 Annual Appropriation Bill
â Hearing on 2014-2015 Annual Appropriation Bill
â Hearing to set Final Tax Request for 2014-2015 for City of Broken Bow
â Approve 2.5% + 1% for a total of 3.5% increase in restricted funds/unused budget authority
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) â The Nebraska doctors treating the man who became infected with Ebola while working in Liberia said Sunday that he is making progress, but it's not yet clear if he will recover.
Dr. Rick Sacra, 51, arrived at the Nebraska Medical Center on Friday for treatment in the hospital's specialized isolation unit. Sacra remains very tired and stable, but was more alert Sunday, said Dr. Phil Smith, one of the doctors treating him who gave an update Sunday.
"We are encouraged by what we see, but it's too early to say he has turned a corner," Smith said.
Smith Announces Youth Advisory Council Members
Washington, D.C.â Congressman Adrian Smith (R-NE) today announced the names of Third District high school students who will serve on his Youth Advisory Council for the 2014-2015 academic school year.
Youth Advisory Council members include:
Justine Bauer of Elm Creek High School;
Tristan Bruce of Franklin Public School;
Trenton Buhr of Norris High School in Firth;
Megan Canfield of Grand Island Northwest High School;
Tianna Engen of Kearney High School;
Emma Franklin of Wallace Public Schools;
LOS ANGELES (AP) â The founder of a Los Angeles-based nonprofit that provides free music lessons to low-income students from gang-ridden neighborhoods began to notice several years ago a hopeful sign: Kids were graduating high school and heading off to UCLA, Tulane and other big universities.
That's when Margaret Martin asked how the children in the Harmony Project were beating the odds.
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) â Nebraska came out of preseason practice calling its offense the "Red Storm" and confident its defense will be better than the middling unit of a year ago.
"Now the test will come," coach Bo Pelini said. "Once we get to the first game, the question will be can we apply what we've learned? Can we react with 93,000 in the stands?"
The 22nd-ranked Cornhuskers will begin to find out against Florida Atlantic on Saturday if they can match their happy talk with performance.
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) â When the call came from an officer who needed help facing an armed robber at a fast-food restaurant, two members of a reality television show riding along with Omaha police hustled to record the confrontation.
Rooted, but not standing still
Broken Bow, youâve been âBranded!â and itâs been a long time coming.
The official logo shown here as a graphics with this article, along with its accompany narrative was introduced to the community this week.
âI love it, love it, love it,â said Melissa Garcia, president of the Custer Economic Development Corporation.
Ryan Hogue, Assistant Principal and Activities Director for Broken Bow Public Schools, has sent out a call for help ... let's keep our eyes open and see what we can do to get this stopped.
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) â Nebraska's K-12 public schools rely more heavily on local taxes for funding than nearly every other state in the nation, according to a report released Monday.
The report by the OpenSky Policy Institute says Nebraska ranked 49th in the percentage of school funding provided by the state in fiscal 2012, the most recent year available.
The longtime focus on local funding has created wide disparities in property tax rates and led to increased state funding for fast-growing urban districts, according to the report.
An 8-year-old girl, a third grader from Engleman Elementary School in Grand Island, was injured today when she was struck by a Utility Terrain Vehicle (UTV) driven by a Nebraska State Fair employee.
Injuries have not been confirmed, but itâs believed injuries were sustained to the lower extremities of the accident victim.
The girl was at the fair as part of Nebraskaâs Largest Classroomâa free program designed for school agers from across Nebraska so that they can learn more about Nebraska agriculture.