Archive - News Article
June 14th, 2013
WASHINGTON â€“ U.S. Sens. Mike Johanns (R-Neb.) and Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) today announced that the U.S. Department of Interior (DoI) has extended the public comment period for the proposed Niobrara Confluence and Ponca Bluffs Conservation area until September 30, 2013. The DoI proposal under review could result in government management or acquisition of more than 1.4 million acres in Nebraska and South Dakota. The majority of the acreage is in Nebraska.
June 17th to 21st, 2013 is National Small Business week. Each year all states select their choice to vie for national small business of the year, which will be announced in Washington D.C June 21st. Though not winning the state award, to receive honorable mention is pretty amazing in itself, says a retired business owner from Thedford.
Jack Johnston, former owner of Pearsonâ€™s Livestock Equipment of Thedford, earlier this year was awarded a plaque by a representative from the NE SBA for honorable mention in the U.S. Small Business Administration from Nebraskaâ€™s Congressional 3rd District.
For Dawn Black, going into ministry was a leap of faith she says she just knew she was supposed to take. Uncertain where her journey would take her, she could have never predicted leaving her life-long Kentucky home to relocate to the middle of Nebraska. But that is exactly where God has brought her.
LINCOLN -- The first session of the 103rd Legislature came to a close Wednesday after Gov. Dave Heineman addressed the body, praising senators for their work and calling for â€śa giant step forwardâ€ť in tax reform next session.
Despite issuing more than 20 line-item vetoes on the two-year budget, about half of which were overturned, Heineman thanked the Appropriations Committee for its efforts, saying he agreed with members on the most important issues, like state aid to schools and rebuilding the cash fund.
â€śMost importantly, we balanced the budget without raising taxes,â€ť he said.
By Janice Nozicka and Pam Holcomb
Special to the Chief
Forty thousand dollars. $40,000! After several months of hard work and dedication, the Broken Bow PTSA made their donation to Little Feet, Big Dreams. This $40,000 donation sends Phase 2 fundraising over the top of its goal for two sets of playground equipment at North Park Elementary - a set for the primary students and a set for the older students.
Custer Federal Savings and Loan will soon look a little different. The name gracing its building and sitting on top of its letterhead will soon read Custer Federal State Bank.
A press release from Custer Federal talks about the how much the bank and its officers are looking forward to the change.
ST.PAUL/ORD - - John Oldson, 47, was sentenced life-to-life in prison this morning for the 1989 death of Cathy Beard. He was convicted by a jury of second degree murder Feb. 8, 2013, in Howard County District Court. The defense was granted a change of venue prior to the trial, which was relocated from Valley County to Howard County. The sentence requires Oldson to serve no less than life imprisonment.
SARGENT - The Sargent Fair is almost as old as Sargent but actually started as a harvest celebration. As crops and harvests grew largerâ€¦ the warm autumns seemed to grow shorter. This provoked the Fairâ€™s change in schedule from an autumn to a summer event.
In the 1980s, where â€śout of the ordinaryâ€ť became normal, the celebration needed an identity of itâ€™s own, thus the worlds first and only Chokecherry Jamboree was born. Now you may find more Chokecherry events, but Sargentâ€™s was the first!
Another round of severe storms made their way through the region last night, dumping heavy rains, some small hail and prompting several tornado warnings. Tornado sirens were sounded in Broken Bow about 4 p.m. Wednesday, after the National Weather Service in North Platte reported seeing rotation on their radar about 8 miles southwest of Broken Bow heading northeast. While there were no confirmed reports of an actual tornado touching down in or around Broken Bow, there was a confirmed report by a trained spotter of a tornado on the ground near Comstock.
After more than a year and a half and one continuance after another, jury trial for Tyler â€śTCâ€ť Bain has been continued once again.
The trial that was scheduled for June has now been continued for a fourth time - to October 2013.
Bain, 30, was arrested in October 2011, following an incident in which he allegedly abducted and assaulted his ex-wife, Kari Bain. He was formally charged with six counts resulting from that incident, which are:
Count 1: 1st degree sexual assault, Class II felony
Count 2: 2nd degree assault, Class III felony
Count 3: terroristic threats, Class IV felony