Archive - News Article
September 16th, 2014
The Associated Press Nebraska high school football rankings in Classes A through D-2. Listings include name of school, season record, previous week's ranking, previous week's result and this week's opponent (NR-not ranked). The rankings are based on a formula that includes ratings from the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star plus experts for each class. Class A: Dale Miller, Grand Island Independent. Class B: Jeff Fielder, Scottsbluff Star-Herald. Class C1: Tom Behmer, Norfolk Daily News. Class C2: Brent Wasinius, Fremont Tribune. Class D1: Andrew Bottrell, North Platte Telegraph.
(Grand Island, NE)- Heavy rain in Hall County and surrounding areas has forced the management of Husker Harvest Days to cancel all activity planned at the Husker Harvest Days event site for Wednesday, Sept. 10.
Extremely muddy conditions have made parking areas impassable. All access gates to the site will be closed on Wednesday. Visitors who had planned on attending the event should revise their travel plans accordingly.
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) â€” Nebraska Secretary of State John Gale says his office is reviewing whether Republican gubernatorial candidate Pete Ricketts can switch his running mate on the November ballot.
Gale will issue a decision Wednesday on whether to allow State Auditor Mike Foley onto the ballot instead of Lt. Gov. Lavon Heidemann. Heidemann resigned Tuesday and said he is withdrawing from the GOP ticket.
Attorneys for the Ricketts campaign say Nebraska's constitution trumps a state law which imposes a Sept. 1 deadline for him to name a running mate.
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) â€” Nebraska Lt. Gov. Lavon Heidemann resigned from office and ended his candidacy Tuesday, one day after a judge granted a protection order to keep him away from his sister, who accused him of assault.
Heidemann announced his resignation at the Capitol alongside Gov. Dave Heineman. The Elk Creek farmer also stepped down as the running mate of Republican gubernatorial candidate Pete Ricketts.
Heidemann said he disagrees with the statements made about him, but decided not to fight to remain in office.
BROKEN BOW CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
TUESDAY - SEPTEMBER 9, 2014 - NOON
Announcement of Posting of the Open Meeting Laws Act
Approval of Consent Agenda
â€˘ Minutes â€“ August 26, 2014 Council Meeting
â€˘ Claims â€“ September 9, 2014 Regular Council Meeting
Public Hearing on 2014-2015 Annual Appropriation Bill
âť– Hearing on 2014-2015 Annual Appropriation Bill
âť– Hearing to set Final Tax Request for 2014-2015 for City of Broken Bow
âť– Approve 2.5% + 1% for a total of 3.5% increase in restricted funds/unused budget authority
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) â€” The Nebraska doctors treating the man who became infected with Ebola while working in Liberia said Sunday that he is making progress, but it's not yet clear if he will recover.
Dr. Rick Sacra, 51, arrived at the Nebraska Medical Center on Friday for treatment in the hospital's specialized isolation unit. Sacra remains very tired and stable, but was more alert Sunday, said Dr. Phil Smith, one of the doctors treating him who gave an update Sunday.
"We are encouraged by what we see, but it's too early to say he has turned a corner," Smith said.
Smith Announces Youth Advisory Council Members
Washington, D.C.â€“ Congressman Adrian Smith (R-NE) today announced the names of Third District high school students who will serve on his Youth Advisory Council for the 2014-2015 academic school year.
Youth Advisory Council members include:
Justine Bauer of Elm Creek High School;
Tristan Bruce of Franklin Public School;
Trenton Buhr of Norris High School in Firth;
Megan Canfield of Grand Island Northwest High School;
Tianna Engen of Kearney High School;
Emma Franklin of Wallace Public Schools;
LOS ANGELES (AP) â€” The founder of a Los Angeles-based nonprofit that provides free music lessons to low-income students from gang-ridden neighborhoods began to notice several years ago a hopeful sign: Kids were graduating high school and heading off to UCLA, Tulane and other big universities.
That's when Margaret Martin asked how the children in the Harmony Project were beating the odds.
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) â€” Nebraska came out of preseason practice calling its offense the "Red Storm" and confident its defense will be better than the middling unit of a year ago.
"Now the test will come," coach Bo Pelini said. "Once we get to the first game, the question will be can we apply what we've learned? Can we react with 93,000 in the stands?"
The 22nd-ranked Cornhuskers will begin to find out against Florida Atlantic on Saturday if they can match their happy talk with performance.
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) â€” When the call came from an officer who needed help facing an armed robber at a fast-food restaurant, two members of a reality television show riding along with Omaha police hustled to record the confrontation.