Archive - Sports Article
May 1st, 2012
Broken Bow High School has hired Brice King as its new womens basketball coach. Brice currently teaches 4th grade in the Broken Bow public school system. Look for extended coverage of this story in the May 10th edition of the Custer County Chief.
Overton Invite- 4/17/12
Results from area schools only with participants placing in the top 6
2. Axtell- 84
3. Amherst- 75
4. Twin Loup- 69
6. Pleasanton- 19
7. Overton- 15
4x400 meter relay:
1. Ansley-Litchfied- Katelyn Watts, Alivia Wardyn, Kayla Reynolds, Nicole Wardyn-4:35
3.Twin Loup- Susanna Ahlen, Emily Clayton, Rebecca Clark, Monica Keith-5:00
4x800 meter relay:
1. Ansley-Litchfield- Katelyn Watts, Rebeckah Lewis, Kara Ostrand, Katie Drake- 10:55.25
Sandhills/Thedford senior Shelby Saner signed her letter of intent Wednesday for Northeast Community College in Norfolk, Neb. She will continue her basketball career with the Hawks as a freshman in the fall. Saner was selected as a 2nd team All-Stater in Class D1n the Omaha World Herald. She finished her career at Sandhills/Thedford as the 5th leading rebounder in the state for all classes.
Twin Loup's Jed Fenske set a new class D record in the pole vault on Thursday. His vault at the Burwell Invite reached 14' 10 1/2''. The previous state record was held by Axtell's Brandon Benson at 14' 9 1/2'', which he set in 2011. See this week's Custer County Chief for more information.
Broken Bow Scores
Jackson Graham- 42
Results from the St. Paul Invite
Area schools with participants placing no worse that 6th
1. Hastings St. Cecilia-126.00
3. Broken Bow-81.00
4. St. Paul-71.00
6. Ravenna- 46.00
8. Minden Girls-0.00
4. Jordan Lemburg- Broken Bow-5'6''
6. Zack Jones-Broken Bow-5'4''
3. Jordan Lemburg-Broken Bow- 38'4 1/2''
1.Alex White-Broken Bow-20'10 1/2''
3. Hunter Campbell- Broken Bow- 19' 6 1/2''
6. Zack Jones- Broken Bow- 18' 3''
400 meter dash
1. Alex White-Broken Bow-53.50
The Indians got off to a decent start to their track season at the Hastings Invite on Friday. The mens team finished 5th while the womens team placed 6th.
It was senior Cody Dierking and junior Tanner Briggs highlighting the day for the mens side.
Dierking paced his way to a victory in the 1600 meter run with a time of 4:41.24. Briggs came up with a victory in the 110 meter hurdles with a time of 16.16.
Briggs also earned another point for his team with a 6th place finish in the 300 meter hurdles.
Hershey-St.Patricks High School Invite
1. South Loup-106
2. North Platte St. Patrick's-97
Events in which area high school athletes placed in the top six:
100 meter dash
1. Derek Hildebrandt-South Loup-11.20
3. Zane Ellis- South Loup-11.30
5. Tanner Cline-South Loup-11.70
6. Trey Gilligan-Anselmo-Merna-11.80
200 meter dash
2. Taylor Linegar-South Loup-23.20
The Broken Bow mens golf team placed 3rd at the North Platte Invite on Friday. The Indians finished only behind Grand Island and North Platte. Junior Tanner Johnson finished 4th overall, shooting a 74. Broken Bow shot a team total of 339.