Broken Bow and Ansley fire departments responded to a fire east of Broken Bow Oct. 16.
Photo by Belinda Vavricek
A Saturday afternoon fire caused extensive damage at the residence of David and Bobbi Summerford of rural Broken Bow, Oct. 16.
According to Andy Holland of the Broken Bow Fire Department, a call came in to dispatch at about 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon of a vehicle fire about three miles east of Broken Bow on Highway 2. When firemen arrived they discovered a camper, building and car engulfed in flames.
Mutual aid was dispatched from Ansley to help battle the blaze. In all, 14 Broken Bow firemen responded to the scene with five trucks. Ansley also sent a grass rig and two tankers to the scene.
It is believed the fire started in an electrical cord plugged in to the camper. Sparks from the cord are believed to have ignited the grass, then spread to the camper, the car parked near the camper, and a building which was at one time a schoolhouse. All three were a total loss.
The fire also caused heat damage to two more vehicles, two horse trailers and a riding lawn mower. Slight damage was also reported to the home, where Holland says windows cracked due to the high heat from the fire.
Some hot spots from the fire did again ignite the grass and spread up a tree about a quarter mile from the property. A truck did have to return to the scene to put out that fire, and was able to do so rather quickly.
Holland says this was the 42nd call of the year for the Broken Bow department, which averages about 70 calls per year.
â€śHopefully we will be below our average this year,â€ť said Holland.
The Summerford family was not displaced from their home as a result of the fire, and not injuries have been reported.