Anna Margaret “Tully” Hunt was born June 8, 1932, to Patrick and Katie (Sherlock) Tully. She left this world March 11, 2011, at the home of her daughter, Jodi, of Milburn, surrounded by her family.
She spent her early childhood on a farm north of Oconto. In 1945, Anna and her family moved to Ortello Valley southwest of Anselmo. Anna graduated from Merna High School in 1950.
Shortly after graduating she began the journey to realizing one of her lifelong passions: teaching. Anna taught first at Cottage Country School off Ryno Road.
She was united in marriage to James R. Hunt April 19, 1952, at St. Anselm’s Catholic Church, in Anselmo. They made their home, again in Ortello Valley; they rented the homestead of Jenny Hill with the stipulation you had to live on the place. James went to the service. James’ parents closed up their home in Merna, and went out to live with Anna to help with the chores (milking cows, chickens, hogs, and the farming). Anna taught at Upper Dale country school, often having to commute by horseback.
When James returned from Korea, they moved to Kearney where James went to school, returning on weekends to take care of the farm. In this time they were blessed by the arrival of their first child, Judy.
In 1958, they returned to Ortello Valley, where they farmed and James taught school. Anna, stayed home with their growing family, and kept watch on the cattle. If she got into a bind with calving and needed help in a hurry, she had some wonderful neighbors who would come to her aid. By this time their family had expanded to two more girls, Jodi and Jeanne, and a boy Almer Downer (a.k.a. A.D.)
In the fall of 1966, they moved to Edgar, where she taught second grade. This would be their home for the next three years except for weekends and summers, when they would commute back to Ortello Valley. In the spring of 1969, James and Anna made a soul searching decision to return to Ortello Valley full time. Anna continued to work alongside James and their four children on the farm and ranch.
Anna substitute taught and continued to pursue her degree in teaching. She traveled back and forth to Kearney daily in order to attend summer sessions. In August 1973, she received a Bachelor’s Degree from Kearney State College. Her degree was a very hard fought milestone, and a great source of pride for her, and her family. She taught full-time from 1976 to 1990.
In 1982 Anna and James welcomed their son, A.D. into the farming and ranching operation. During the late 1990’s, James and Anna split their time living on their ranch south of Brewster and the farm southwest of Anselmo. In 1996, Anna traveled with her family to receive The Ark-Sar-Ben 100 Year Homestead Award. In addition to being a devoted mother and compassionate teacher, she was her husband’s partner and instrumental in the growth of the Hunt and Hunt operation.
Anna was a member of the VFW Auxiliary, and St. Anselm’s Catholic Altar Society.
She is survived by daughters, Judy (Ron) Jacobsen, Jodi (Greg) Smith, Jeanne (Dr. Michael) Downey and son, A.D. (Michaela) Hunt; grandchildren, Diron (Amy) Jacobsen, Dr. Roni Jacobsen, Bobbi Ann (Jared) Pettit, Mike, Jack, Luke, and Drew Smith, Jill, Amanda, and Paul Downey, Sara, Sam, Sadie and Seth Hunt; greatgranddaughters, Kyla and Adilynn Jacobsen, and Emmi Pettit; sister, Agnes Hempstead; brother, Joe Tully; sister-in-laws, Betty Tully and Helen Reynolds.
She is preceded in death by her husband, James; grandchildren, Jonathan Jacobsen, Robert and Abbey Smith; brothers, Donald and James Tully; sisters, Mary (Lloyd) Jungles and Katherine (Jack) Dickinson, and sister-in-law, Francis Tully.
Funeral services were March 15, 2011, at St. Anselm's Catholic Church in Anselmo, with Father Jim Hunt officiating. A Christian Wake service and Rosary were March 14, at Saint Anselms Catholic Church in Anselmo. Burial was in the OrtelloValley Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the Ortello Valley Cemetery. Govier Brothers Mortuary was in charge of arrangements.