As Broken Bow Public Schools gets ready to begin a new school year, they welcome 10 new teachers and a new superintendent.
A reception to welcome the new staff and give the public opportunity to meet them, will be Friday, Aug. 17 from 5-7 p.m. at Huckleberry’s Hideout. Joining Superinten-dent Mark Sievering as new staff to Broken Bow for the 2012-13 school year are:
* Erin Boldt Reiff - of Callaway will be the school psychologist. She attended Wayne State College where she earned a bachelor of science degree in biology and psychology, and the University of Nebraska-Omaha in school psychology. She is married to husband, Michael, and has three children; Joslyn, 6, Neltje, 4, and Lauren, 1.
* Katie Custer - of Broken Bow will be the middle school and pre-school speech pathologist. Katie attended UNK earning her bachelor’s degree in communication disorder, and UNL earning her master’s in speech pathology. Katie is married to Brent Custer and has three children; 8-year-old Emery, and 5-year-old twins Molly and Brynn.
* J.D. Furrow - of Mullen will be the high school math teacher. He attended UNK earning his degree in secondary math. J.D. will also be the assistant 8th grade girls basketball coach. He is married to wife, Christi, and has five sons; Matt, 18, Aaron, 15, Jacob, 10, Andrew, 8, and Caleb, 5. J.D. is also an ambulance driver.
* Patti Puls - of Laurel-Concord will be the business/computer teacher. She attended Wayne State College where she earned a master's in curriculum and instruction. Patti will also be the FBLA sponsor. She is the mother of two children; Justin, 20, attends Bellevue University, and Kelsey, 19, attends SDSU.
* Luke Coufal - of David City will teach social sciences. He earned a bachelor of arts degree in education at Midland Lutheran College. He is interested in all sports and will be the assistant high school football and wrestling coach. He is married to wife, Nancee.
*Jason Daffer - of Danbary will teach 4th grade. He earned a degree in elementary education at Hastings College. Jason enjoys running, cooking and Husker football, and will be the head cross country and assistant track coach.
* Ryan Wetovick - of Eustis will teach K-5 physical education. Ryan earned his degree at UNK, and enjoys hunting, fishing, golfing and all sports. He will be the head boys basketball coach, assistant track (pole vault) coach, and fall weights coach. Ryan is married to Stephanie.
* Jo Ward - of Denver, Colo., will serve as home visitor and parent educator. She earned a bachelor of arts degree at the University of Denver, and enjoys sports and photography. She is married to husband, Ryan.
* Jessica Gibbons - of Ansley will teach preschool at New Discoveries Preschool East. She earned her bachelor of arts in K-6 and early childhood education from UNK. Jessica will also be the 9th grade volleyball coach. She is married to Blaine, and is the mother of 3-year-old Adrian.
* Heather Zaruba - of Ord will teach middle school and high school English. She earned her bachelor of arts degree at Nebraska Wesleyan University, and is currently pursuing a master’s degree at UNK. She is a board member of the Ord Area Chamber of Commerce, and is a Teammates Mentor. Heather is married to Brian, and has two children; Belle, 6, and Zayne, 4.
Other changes in coaching and sponsors include:
*Cathy Minnick - head 8th grade volleyball
* Tim Johnson - assistant boys golf
* Cassie Kozisek and Lisa Berghorst – dance team
* Mike Miller – assistant high school football and head boys golf
* Mike Buckles – assistant boys basketball
* Brice King – head girls basketball and assistant volleyball (Move up from 9th grade to JV)
* Jerry Scott – assistant 8th boys basketball
* Mick Patch – assistant MS/HS cross country
* Jackie Wagner – assistant concessions
* Zella Briggs – assistant 7th grade volleyball
* Gary Meyer – head 7th grade girls basketball