Everett Barnes, 72

Everett Eugene Barnes, the fourth of six children, was born in Broken Bow to Lyle Kermit and MaryAlice (Patterson) Barnes Feb. 21,1942, and passed away March 24, 2014 at theMelham Hospital in Broken Bow at the age 72. Everett spent his childhood and teenage years in the Brewster and Dunning areas. He went to grade school in Brewster and later graduated from Dunning High School in 1961. As a young teenager, he drove a fuel truck and also worked at various ranches in the Dunning area. Everett was very athletic, winning many awards and medals in track, basketball, and football. ln fact, the day before he married Patricia Brakeman on May 21, 1961, he was at the State Track Meet in Lincoln. Everett and Patti had one daughter, Kristina Marie, born in 1969. When he and his wife were frst married, he worked for Broken Bow Ready Mix and Bowman Oil in Dunning for about a year before taking a job as a ranch hand on the Kenneth Rogers ranch North ofStapleton. He worked there for four years before entering the Army in 1966. He took his basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., and his A.I.T. was at Fort Knox, Kent., prior to beingstationed in Baumholder, Germany. He was honorably discharged in 1969 and returned to the Roger's ranch where he remained for another 18 years. In 1987, he and Patti moved to the Merriman/ Gordon area where he was ranch manager for anabsentee owner for about six years. His nephew, Jeff Bames, worked for him during this time and they formed a special bond. In 1993, Everett and Patti returned to the Dunning area, working on theWally Collier Ranch. He was employed there until poor health forced him to retire and leave his beloved Sandhills in April of 2003. For Everett, working as a ranch hand in the Nebraska Sandhills was the best life ever and there just wasn't anything better. The work was hard at times and the days were long, but he loved his life as a cowboy and had a strong work ethic. His employers never had to wonder if a job would get done. Being an early riser, he was often up and ready to go long before anyone else was.Though he tended to be a loner and didn't like to be around a crowd of people, he loved one-on-oneconversations and was always available to help anyone that needed it. He could be a teaser at times whether it was with his friends or family members as his nieces, nephews and friends can attest to. Everett's great-great-nephew Brayden Atchison, was such a delight to him as he watched him grow from a baby to walking and 'talking’. He looked foruvard to seeing his “Buddha” buddyalmost every week. Everett is survived by his wife, Patti of Broken Bow; daughter, Kristina (Albert) Allen of Ainsworth; granddaughter, Kelsie Allen of Gibbon; sisters, Lauretta Rice of Alda, and Winona Love of Broken Bow; brothers, Maynard (Linda) Barnes of Broken Bow andLyle (Jan) Barnes of Broken Bow. He is also survived by numerous nieces, nephews, great-nieces and nephews, and great-great-nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents; in-laws, Emil and Louise Brakeman; infant great-niece, Darla Krueger; step-father, Robert Larson; nephew, Kermit Copper; brothers-in-law, Bill Copper and Don Rice; sister-in-law, Mary (Brakeman) Slack; niece, Lanona Krueger; sister, Marian Copper and infant great-great-nephew Corbin Atchison. Govier Brothers Mortuary of Broken Bow was in charge of cremation. Per Everett's request, nomemorial services were held.Published in Custer County Chief, April 3, 2014